Apple & Mince Pie Crumble Bars
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 12 square bars
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into small dice
- peel of half an orange
- juice of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 250g fruit mince (I used Woolies)
- 40g flaked almonds
- 2 cups of cake flour (300g)
- 1/3 cup almond flour (40g)
- 2/3 cup caster sugar (170g)
- 250g chilled butter, cut into cubes
- zest of half an orange
- Finely grate the zest of half an orange then set aside. Peel the skin off the other half of the orange with a vegetable peeler, and place in a pot with 14 of a cup of sugar. Add the juice of the orange and bring this to the boil. allow this to simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F
- While the apple is cooking / cooling - make the pastry. Place the flours, sugar, zest, butter in a food processor and pulse until a soft dough forms. Remove
- Line a 20-23cm square cake tin with baking paper. Press 2/3 of the pastry into the bottom of the tin and flatten.
- Spoon out the apples from the liquid and remove the orange peel. Mix this in a bowl with the Xmas fruit mince.
- Spread the fruit mix evenly over the surface of the pastry. Grate the remaining third of the pastry over the top. Scatter the slivered almonds and bake for 40 - 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool, cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar