Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro put all his ideas for `Pan’s Labyrinth’ in a notebook — then lost it.
The heavyset man ran down the London street, panting, chasing the taxi. When it didn’t stop, he hopped into another cab. “Follow that cab!” he yelled. Guillermo del Toro wasn’t directing this movie. He was living it. And it was turning into a horror tale.
The Mexican filmmaker keeps all of his ideas in leather notebooks. And Del Toro had just left four years of work in the back seat of a British cab. Unlike in the movies, though, Del Toro couldn’t catch the taxi. Visits to the police and the taxi company proved equally fruitless.
Del Toro’s films — “Chronos,” “The Devil’s Backbone,” “Blade II,” “Hellboy” — typically feature magical realism. Fate was about to return the storytelling favor.
The cabbie spotted the misplaced journal. Working from a scrap of stationery that didn’t even have the name of Del Toro’s hotel (just its logo), the driver returned the book two days later. An overwhelmed Del Toro promptly gave him an approximately $900 tip.
The sketches and the ideas in that misplaced journal — four years of notes on character design, ruminations about plot — were the foundation of “Pan’s Labyrinth,” a child’s fantasy set in the wake of the Spanish Civil War.
The director, who at the time wasn’t even sure he’d actually make “Pan’s Labyrinth,” took the cabbie’s act as a sign, and plunged himself into the movie.
31996 Notes/ Hide
- mtwvdb reblogged this from darkasagrave
- ladryade reblogged this from amillionuniverses
- midscream reblogged this from lattethecat
- dianasharkgron likes this
- elenarene reblogged this from alexandra-allegra
- alexandra-allegra reblogged this from lightmeupwithincense
- elphabasapprentice reblogged this from neoinfluence
- elphabasapprentice likes this
- ig0ts0le likes this
- distinctly-beautiful likes this
- lightmeupwithincense reblogged this from amurusa
- daydreamsmeetsreality reblogged this from amurusa
- amurusa reblogged this from neoinfluence
- neoinfluence reblogged this from desdeaca
- desdeaca reblogged this from cupandspoon
- yaburne reblogged this from letsstealthesky
- letsstealthesky reblogged this from fuckyeahbookarts
- nonsensepourcanon likes this
- mangogreentea721 reblogged this from blowfishbitch
- inkinthesink likes this
- chococherrykittiie likes this
- spangledpants reblogged this from danger-in-design
- kbunchi reblogged this from fuckyeahbookarts
- leavemeawhisper likes this
- cherguevara likes this
- ouijaboo likes this
- d-raddz likes this
- pleasant-disposition reblogged this from rawr-imabadger
- rawr-imabadger reblogged this from whiteribbon
- sevensoybeanz reblogged this from vertigheist
- thombri reblogged this from fuckyeahbookarts
- allthecoolkidsrusticate reblogged this from idiolectical
- idiolectical reblogged this from lustambitions
- gabby-the-cat reblogged this from search4zion
- kindofabsurd reblogged this from miss-loserface
- kindofabsurd likes this
- skykoi likes this
- gomugomucactus likes this
- writerlyme likes this
- sevensoybeanz likes this
- goofygoldengirl likes this
- forgivingtoforget reblogged this from derpyeponine
- halaurelive likes this
- papershark reblogged this from sailor-jojo
- papershark likes this
- lapis-rose-of-jericho reblogged this from dracodermis
- lapis-rose-of-jericho likes this
- toocsiboos likes this
- miss-loserface reblogged this from lunassnuff
- fallnmorninstar reblogged this from afairytaleforyou